Operation Snowball is an alcohol, tobacco and other drug use prevention program focusing on leadership development to empower youth to lead drug-free lives. The name originates from the idea that "If I have a positive impact on you, you can have a positive impact on someone else and the effect snowballs." Out of this concept emerges "A Community of Caring" - the success of Operation Snowball. Operation Snowball is founded on the belief that youth and adults can make responsible and healthy decisions when provided with factual information and an opportunity to develop an understanding of one's self and motivations.
- The program fosters a youth & adult partnership.
- Has been implemented in schools and communities ranging from rural, suburban and urban...from small towns to major metropolitian areas...with the ability to adapt components to address local conditions.
- Uses the powerful energy and influence of youth to create an atmosphere of positive peer support, recognizing youth as part of the solution.
- Supports Social Emotional Learning as youth develop attitudes, beliefs, behaviors, and cognitive skills that create healthy and competent adults.
- Utilizes SAMHSA’s Strategic Prevention Framework in developing the infrastructure needed for a community-based, public health approach.